Thursday, June 11, 2009

Online gaming and NASA chimps

I was never really interested in online games and always considered them for anoraks and people who never really grew up. My own memories of arcade video games was pumping lots of 10ps into the machine and not being able to master them.

I tried three online games which tested your brain power these were Bejewelled, busy bistro and the juice machine game. I must admit I did enjoy playing busy bistro but the graphics resembled a childs cartoon. Bejewelled was a test of real skill and there was a certain logic to switching the jewels around, but I just kept thinking of the chimps trained by NASA during the apollo space programme, who pressed buttons on control panels. Instead of receiving nuts for pressing the right buttons I got points.

As far as using games in the library maybe a test your brain type one could be developed to direct people around the library. I don't really get the whole avatar and second life thing and how it can be used in library environments. I think these avatar creators just need to get a life go out and walk in the real world and appreciate nature rather than some computer generated environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment