Monday, June 8, 2009

eaudio books and ebooks

I was never really interested in audio books, since I much preferred to read the text myself and create the voices of the different characters in my own head. However I realise the importance of audio books and some people get immense pleasure out of hearing a renowned actor narrate the story.

I remember my gran as her sight started to detoriate opting for audio books since she found the large print books tough going, and they invention opened up a whole new world for the blind. I have recalled people telling me they enjoyed listening to audio books while driving on long journeys. I personally would prefer to stick on a few tunes and sing along, ah well each to their own.

A lot of the eaudio books offered by Netlibrary for business were more popular rather than academic orientated. I did notice on the library catalogue that in the drop down menu for library collection there appeared to be no option to search for audio books.

I relation to ebooks I am quite familiar with them, but the whole technology is still in its infancy however it does seem the way ahead for most libraries. However there is a hint of the old snake oil salesman mentality by different publishers and distributor peddling a diverse range platforms for content delivery.

I think the printed book will always exist since there are so many bibliophiles out there who just like the smell and texture of a nice book. A printed book can be brought practically anywhere even into the bath , whereas the current ereaders will always need some form of power source. No doubt over time they will evolve to be more adaptable, but people will alway enjoy turning the actual page of a book.

No comments:

Post a Comment