Monday, June 8, 2009

Forced to face facebook

I looked at two Social networking sites Facebook and MySpace and joined the former. I am not interested in social networking sites, but can see the value as a professional networking tool. I had a look through my old Alma Mater, but did not recognise anyone who has a presence on facebook. My brother lives in the US and I can see that he uses facebook to keep in contact with people overseas.

I found the article Social Network Sites Public, Private or What? from the learning tree ejournal quite illuminating. It was interesting the advice dispensed to educators concerning the strategy to adopt when communicating with their students outside the classroom.

In terms of using Social Networking sites in a library context, we could adapt certain aspects of the model used by the British library, but on a much smaller scale. These sites could be a way of keeping the college community informed particularly students about library developments, since more people would be inclined to look at the Library facebook entry than read the newsletter.

No comments:

Post a Comment