Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Whirling around wikis.

I've had a look at a couple of Wikis and signed up for PBWiki. Of course the definitive Wiki is Wikipedia, which every student finds invaluable for assignments even if the content is not always correct.

I think The Cataloguers Wiki UL Scratchpad is a very good idea for updating a manual. I must admit though I was constantly distracted by illuminating adverts along the sidebar advertising everything from mobile phone games and dating sites. I whirred through Columbia University's New Media centre for Teaching and Learning conference video about how they created their own special wiki called Wikispaces which was taken up with great gusto by faculty and unleashed a torrent of innovative teaching methods.

I can see how wikis could be used in the context of the KBS by communicating with students regarding queries. Conducting information skills learning workshops by making them more interactive. The application of Wikis has great potential in a library context and its just a matter of sitting down and carrying out some serious brain storming sessions with colleagues to see what works.

No comments:

Post a Comment