Wednesday, April 1, 2009



right hopefully you will be able to see my eclectic list of books chosen from library thing. A brief word about the choices, I have always had an interest in comedy and satire, and each of these book reminds of my travels. I picked up the Tin Drum by Gunther Grass in an old bookshop in Prague while inter railing and read the first couple of pages, and thought its too heavy to carry around with me. So I got it for christmas the following year.

I bought the Seinfeld Scripts in the NBC Shop at the Rockefeller centre in Manhattan which was a very apt since the comedy was set in NYC. I spent a summer working in a cherry factory in Germany and read Vonnegut's book in the cellar of a workers hostel which was quite appropriate. War and Peace Tolstoy's historical epic about a Russian aristocratic families fate during the Napoleonic wars. I started this in Perth Western Australia with the intention of reading it during the course of travelling around the country. I got about halfway through it and gave it up. I just remember leaving some characters in a drawing room and that was the end of that since never picked it up again. Raging bulls Easy Riders by Biskind was an illuminating journey through 1970s Hollywood, and half the people featured would not be out of place as characters in Joseph Heller's Catch 22.

No comments:

Post a Comment